Skip to main content

Featured Posts

Monday Morning Photo - Wisteria Time in Andalucia

How quickly spring comes around after the short winter here in the Sierra Sur de Jaén. After lots of very much needed rain we´re back to the normal cloudless blue.  My garden is shooting incredbily with the moisture and now sunshine. And my beautiful wisteria flowers grandly albeit it short-lived. The big black carpenter bees love it. Each flowering season reminds me of the Botanical Gardens in Malaga and the ´tunnel´ of wisteria that I haven´t yet caught in bloom. April is a good time to plan to go if it´s on your list.  Here´s the botanical garden link La Concepción Botanical Gardens. And a sneaky peak at the wisteria. See the Monday Morning Photos list.

Rats, Mice, Snakes, Geckos and Grasshoppers

Creepy crawlies and four legged pests are hard to avoid in the heat of Spain. My first close encounter was with an 8cm dehydrated centipede under my bed. I´ve still got it.

Another less pleasant one was a presumed mouse which turned out to be a scorpion, I caught it in a jar, left it with no food or air holes on top of the combination oven, two weeks later it was still moving, indestructible.

Ok, I know I should have taken it outside and let it go but I was squeamish, fresh from the UK and not so countrified.

These days we´ve regular visits from mice inside, rats around the place outside and hordes of geckos everywhere. Not to mention the odd snake both inside and out.

This little green fellow caught my eye and chomped my cañas the other day. I played hide and seek with him for a while until I managed to get a good photo.

Every time I moved he swiveled behind the stem. Good colour coordination don´t ya think?

Green Grasshopper on plant

Popular Posts