Rioja has joined the European iniciative to promote ´Wine in Moderation´, which as it says is to promote drinking wine, especially red wine, in moderation and these are 10 reasons (as if we need any) to drink Rioja:
1. Heart: One or two glasses a day help to improve blood circulation and reduce the risk of heart disease.
2. Dementia: The moderate consumption of red wine can help the early onset of senile dementia. El Clínico in Barcelona affirms the benefits of drinking a glass or two of wine a day to prevent alzheimers.
3. Arthritis: Studies in Sweden have discovered that drinking 5 to 10 glasses of wine a week can lower the risk of developing arthritis by 50%.
4. Flu: A Spanish study has shown that those who consume 8 to 14 glasses of red wine a week were less likely to catch a cold.
5. Diabetes: People that drink moderate amounts of wine have a better possibility of preventing diabetes type 2.
6. Cholesterol: The fibre and antioxidants found in, particularly the Tempranillo, grapes seem to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
7. Throat cancer: Drinking wine in moderation can protect you against throat cancer.
8. Exercise: Douglas McKeag, director of the Sports University in Indiana, demonstrated that it isn´t harmful to drink a little wine before doing exercise, in fact, it stimulated the heart.
9. Antioxidant: Wine grapes are rich in melatonin, a hormone that not only keeps you awake at night but also acts as a powerful antioxidant and eliminates toxins in cells.
10. Cardiovascular: European scientists associate the moderate consumption of wine with higher levels of fatty acids and Omega 3 in the blood.
Article taken from Ideal.es, translation and mistakes are mine. Read more from Wine Sur.com