Skip to main content

Featured Posts

Monday Morning Photo - Wisteria Time in Andalucia

How quickly spring comes around after the short winter here in the Sierra Sur de Jaén. After lots of very much needed rain we´re back to the normal cloudless blue.  My garden is shooting incredbily with the moisture and now sunshine. And my beautiful wisteria flowers grandly albeit it short-lived. The big black carpenter bees love it. Each flowering season reminds me of the Botanical Gardens in Malaga and the ´tunnel´ of wisteria that I haven´t yet caught in bloom. April is a good time to plan to go if it´s on your list.  Here´s the botanical garden link La Concepción Botanical Gardens. And a sneaky peak at the wisteria. See the Monday Morning Photos list.

Hotel Malaga Palacio by Marriott Review


Standing 15 floors up looking down onto other roof terraces with a fabulous 360° view of city and port was the highlight of the hotel. A pool to dodge around, and a too small bar with at times not enough staff, a long wait for the lift and a lot of noise from a Saturday night wedding made for a not-so-relaxing stay at the AC Hotel Malaga Palacio by Marriott.

Rooftop pool and harbour view

Having a great but busy location opposite the port, in front of the cathedral and on a busy road the hotel had it's ups and downs.

The first being no ramp up the steps to the lobby and granted the doorman was there in time to help me into the hotel with my case, but not so when I left, or half-so. The doorman carried my bag down the lobby steps and out through the door and left me to lift it down further outside steps to the pavement. Not very impressed.

Malaga Cathedral from Hotel Palacio

Granted both weekend nights of my three night stay there was an event on the terrace and access was limited or extremely busy, this meant we only had drinks and and ate breakfast in the hotel. This wasn't a problem as our aim was to explore as much of the old town and as many bars as possible. We did very well on those points, getting in a couple of beach bars as well as the new shopping area of Muelle Uno alongside the port.

Rooftop View over Port & Muello Uno

As a four-star hotel it didn't live up to my expectations. Scruffy in places, not so clean behind the doors, a terrace with sea views yet nothing to sit and on and unbelievably wifi you have to pay for. Ok there was free wifi in the lobby, that by the way anyone could walk in and use, but when paying those prices for rooms that are a bit past their best and the wifi charged for daily. I refused to pay and opted for the free public option.

My View. Room 413

One pleasant surprise was €3 for a glass of wine (not a small one) on the roof terrace, I was definitely expecting to pay more for that.

Would I go again? For the location and the roof terrace quite possibly but I'd certainly choose mid-week.





Popular Posts